The need for effective risk mitigation and control has never been more pressing, with data breaches and cyber-attacks becoming increasingly common. However, while organizations are prioritizing risk management, employees are feeling overwhelmed and stressed by the number of asks and expectations at work. This can lead to a breakdown in trust between staff and management, making it even harder to communicate and mitigate risks effectively.
Recent industry trends and research have highlighted several key strategies that organizations can adopt to address these issues:
– Insider risks are the biggest concerns. A 2022 Gartner survey discovered that 69% of employees have bypassed their organization’s cybersecurity guidance in the year and 74% of staff said they would be willing to bypass cybersecurity guidance if it helped them or their team achieve a business objective. More and more organizations are investing in managing insider risks.
– The global average cost of a data breach stood at USD 4.35 million and stolen or compromised credentials took 327 days to figure out.
– Among the top 5 risks of 2023 is the fear of cyberattacks on critical infrastructure and By 2025, the total cost of cybercrime will be around $10.5 trillion globally.
So what must be done to create a culture of risk management and communicate it effectively?
– Understanding the mindset of staff: Organizations need to invest in understanding how staff perceives risk and their concerns. This will help in designing effective communication and risk mitigation strategies that align with their needs and expectations.
– Advocating from within: Identifying conscientious staff members who can act as advocates for risk mitigation can help promote best practices and encourage others to adopt similar attitudes.
– Creating a culture of openness: Encouraging open communication and creating an environment where staff feels comfortable discussing their concerns and ideas is essential for building trust and promoting effective risk management.
– Involving staff and their families: By involving staff and their families in risk mitigation strategies through awareness campaigns, workshops, and events, organizations can foster a greater sense of ownership and commitment to managing risks.
– Continuous engagement: Risk mitigation is not a one-off campaign, but an ongoing process that requires sustained effort and engagement. Regular reminders and opportunities to discuss risks can help embed these practices into the culture of the organization.
– Tapping into staff expertise: Staff members are often the most knowledgeable about the risks they face and can provide valuable insights and suggestions for effective risk mitigation. Organizations should actively encourage staff to share their ideas and be involved in the risk management process.
– Behavioural change: Finally, organizations need to go beyond raising awareness and focus on creating behavioural change. Using insights from neuroscience and social psychology can help design effective nudges that encourage staff to adopt best practices and reduce risk.
Effective risk mitigation requires a holistic approach that takes into account the mindset of staff and the culture of the organization. By involving staff and their families, creating a culture of openness, and using insights from behavioral science, organizations can build trust and foster a sense of shared responsibility for managing risks.
Like the article? Do share your comments, thoughts, and perspectives.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Internal Comms Insights (followed by close to 6000 readers) to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and insights in the world of internal communications.
Interested in similar content? Look up my blog www.aniisu.com and website www.intraskope.com
Keen to get advice on communication and branding? Reach out to me: https://www.intraskope.com/advantage
Interested in getting stronger with your internal communication and employer brand? Look up these resources.
- Take a FREE Employer Branding Readiness Assessment and gauge where your organization stands.
- Learn: Internal Communications Fundamentals Course on Thinkific
- Internal Communications Series: https://forms.gle/KcqmPzLwq7NQi5Km6
- Chat with Aniisu – Internal Communications: https://www.instamojo.com/intraskope/connect-with-aniisu-60-minute-personalized-d/?ref=store
- Internal Communications workshops: https://bit.ly/2zdBRl1
#risk #riskmanagement #riskoversight #dataprotection #cybersecurity #cyberattack #communication #behavior #culture #IC #tech #techinfra #datamanagement #riskassessment