Patrick Widmann has a unique story – he visited India from Germany during a career break to volunteer and stayed on to work and consult on a slew of topics, especially in the social sector. He has travelled to over 45 nations and has been recognized for his work – as a “top 10 mentor in India & APAC region” and getting nominated for the “Top 100 Marketing & Advertising Award” in Dubai. He has given speeches to more than 800+ students in 4 days and more recently authored an interesting book on his experience – with Breaking Out Awakening Within. He got in touch on Linkedin as we are both part of a Writers Group on the platform and he was seeking collaborators to bring his book to life. I was impressed by his ability to tap the power and wisdom of crowds, seeking feedback on his book cover to social media engagements.
In the 31st edition of Intraskope‘s Personal Branding Series, Patrick Widmann puts the spotlight on self-development and why becoming more humane can lead to your personal brand net-worth rising. Learn more in this interview.
Watch the YouTube video interview and read the complete interview below. Look up more such stories on my YouTube channel and on LinkedIn.
1. What according to you is personal branding?
Someone whom people trust. Someone who creates himself content and is considered an expert in his field.
2. What does one do to go about building a personal brand?
Three steps: 1) Identify the niche/Market you want to be a brand, 2) Be authentic and focus on your own development, 3) Persistence
3. What are the attributes of a personal brand? And what do people associate your brand with?
The things that make you unique
4. What steps did you take to build your brand? How do you know it is working?
I did not work forcefully on it. But I just published a book as one part of my plan to create more and more content. More things will follow
5. During the process of building your own brand, what did you gain in the process? What did you lose?
It`s always a balance between reaching masses but also staying accessible to the people. (one can be lost, one can be gained)
6. How can someone starting from scratch build a personal brand? What is the first step he or she must take?
Know about your interests and work in this specific field. This will keep you up in the long term.
7. If you had the opportunity to change something about the way you built your personal brand, what would that be?
Being more self-confident and focusing on one specific area rather than being too broad.
8. What is your recipe for personal branding success?
Find a specific niche where you are good at and you enjoy. Be authentic in what you do and believe in your actions.
9. Who according to you are personal brands?
People who work regularly on their self-development and are adapting to the needs of the market will succeed. The world is not standing still.
10. With COVID19 and other crises what steps can personal brands take?
I think there is not such a big difference except the shift to a more “online-dominated” world. Personal brands need to focus on “online first” and find the appropriate tone. In the current times, it might be also more important than before to be empathetically.
11. What’s your advice for youngsters (Gen Z and others) who want to consider their personal brands?
Follow your own passion, don`t just blindly follow others advises. People follow you automatically if you are authentic, especially in such a busy world.
Liked this interview? Please do share your feedback and comments.
Keen to get ahead with your personal brand? Here are some resources:
- Take this course – Personal Branding 101: Unlock Your Potential and Stay Ahead
- Take a FREE assessment on personal branding.
- Refer to the 3C model on Personal Branding
- Sign up for a 60-minute personalized chat on personal branding
- Personal branding for corporate communicators
Missed the earlier episodes? Read the interviews with Muqbil Ahmar, Tinu Cherian Abraham, Joseph Fernandez, Christina Daniels,Karthik Srinivasan,Gautam Ghosh, Alexander Michael Gittens, Mubeen Azeez, Itzik Amiel, Mangal D Karnad, Abhijit Bhaduri, Sandeep K Krishnan PhD, Scott Shirai, Sunil Robert, Latha Vijaybaskar PhD, Abha Maryada Banerjee, Dr. Amit Nagpal, Sukanti Ghosh, Amith Prabhu, Dave Carroll, Prof. Deva Rangarajan, Ramesh Thomas, K V Dipu, Chip Helm, Suresh Ramdas, Karthik Nagendra PhD, Jeppe Hansgaard, Raja Karthikeya, Atamjeet Singh Bawa and Vidyadhar Prabhudesai online and share your thoughts.
Keen to join this Series and share your thoughts on Personal Branding? Write to me at [email protected]
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel and follow me on Medium.
#self-development #niche #intentional #driven #driven #connections #personalbranding #lifeskills #clarity #commitment #consistency #addvalue #buildexpertise #reinventyourself #focus #branding #drive #communications #persistence