Suresh Ramdas is the Global Training Lead and India LGBTQ ERG Chair for HP in India as well as a recognized leader in diversity & inclusion in the community. A certified diversity professional from DTUI, US & Interweave, India, he also has done a LGBTQ Executive Leadership Program from Stanford GSB, US. He is the VP of Membership of the world’s first LGBTQIA+ and Allies open Toastmasters chapter – Rainbow Toastmasters.
“Building a brand takes time and when its personal, it takes even more longer. It must come with discipline, consistency, dedication, intent and commitment.”, says Suresh.
In the 25th edition of Intraskope‘s Personal Branding Series, Suresh talks of his journey as a professional and how people began to recognize his work, which led to his personal branding gaining ground. He shares insights on finding your voice, being responsible about what you communicate and how to stay grounded through authenticity, commitment and drive. Suresh was recognized as Mr. Gay India 2019 and is among 50 OUTstanding LGBT+ Future Leaders. Learn more in this interview.
Watch the YouTube video interview and read the complete interview below. Look up more such stories on my YouTube channel and on LinkedIn.
1. What according to you is personal branding?
An effort to create and influence people with their credibility by being authentic and a subject matter expert. This leads to increasing their circle of influence and making a larger impact.
2. Do you consider yourself a personal brand? If yes, how do you know it?
Yes. With the skill sets, the recognition, being an out vocal advocate and work that I am doing.
3. What does one do to go about building a personal brand?
Brand is something that one stands for or believes in or supports or even fights for. And when it is done by a person, then it becomes personal. This is something that must come from within and not from outside. Building a brand takes time and when its personal, it takes even more longer. It must come with discipline, consistency, dedication, intent and commitment.
4. What are the attributes of a personal brand? And what do people associate your brand with?
- Being a Subject Matter Expert
- Relationship management. People associate me with being authentic, reliable, honest and committed
5. Based on your observations and learning who according to you is a personal brand? What characteristics do you admire about them?
Roger Federer – his love for tennis, his commitment to the sport, his commitment to what he stands for – community services in his hometown and outside as well.
6. What steps did you take to build your brand? How do you know it is working?
I think I am still building and haven’t built it yet. I think it’s working because it has got many people to reach out to me for various aspects.
7. If you had the opportunity to change something about the way you built your personal brand, what would that be?
Have some advisors who are the experts and want the best for me.
8. What is your recipe for personal branding success?
You can have the best ingredients like the ideas, people, devices, opportunities, but one should have the soul & heart, and which can happen by being authentic and honest.
9. What’s your advice for youngsters (Gen Z and others) who want to consider their personal brands?
Be honest, authentic with what you’ll do and don’t be in a hurry to get things done.
Liked this interview? Please do share your feedback and comments.
Keen to get ahead with your personal brand? Here are some resources:
- Take this course – Personal Branding 101: Unlock Your Potential and Stay Ahead
- Take a FREE assessment on personal branding.
- Refer to the 3C model on Personal Branding
- Sign up for a 60-minute personalized chat on personal branding
- Personal branding for corporate communicators
Missed the earlier episodes? Read the interviews with Muqbil Ahmar, Tinu Cherian Abraham, Joseph Fernandez, Christina Daniels,Karthik Srinivasan,Gautam Ghosh, Alexander Michael Gittens, Mubeen Azeez, Itzik Amiel, Mangal D Karnad, Abhijit Bhaduri, Sandeep K Krishnan PhD, Scott Shirai, Sunil Robert, Latha Vijaybaskar PhD, Abha Maryada Banerjee, Dr. Amit Nagpal, Sukanti Ghosh, Amith Prabhu, Dave Carroll, Prof. Deva Rangarajan, Ramesh Thomas, K V Dipu and Chip Helm online and share your thoughts.
Keen to join this Series and share your thoughts on Personal Branding? Write to me at [email protected]
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel and follow me on Medium.
#courage #authenticity #personalbranding #lifeskills #clarity #commitment #consistency #addvalue #buildexpertise #reinventyourself #focus #branding #drive #communications #fulfilment #courage #confidence