From a dental school drop-out, to a National Sales Manager of a multi-billion-dollar medical device company, Chip Helm has over the last thirty years perfected the art of developing and maintaining long-term relationships to help drive sales success. He mentors and shares leadership wisdom with professionals at all levels of their sales career track. Chip serves corporations, non-profit organizations, and universities as a speaker and has authored “Bigger Than Sales: How Humility and Wisdom Build Sales Success” and “Everyday Sales Wisdom for your Life and Career”. More about his work is available at http://chiphelm.com/product/
“During my career I gained the understanding of the need for personal branding. I learnt about the necessity of a brand and the importance and how easy it is to lose your brand”, says Chip.
Watch the YouTube video interview and read the complete interview below. Look up more such stories on my YouTube channel and on LinkedIn.
1. What according to you is personal branding?
What others think of you! That is the essence of personal branding.
2. Do you consider yourself a personal brand? If yes, how do you know it?
We all better have a personal brand; good or bad especially if we work for someone or a corporation.
3. What does one do to go about building a personal brand?
You must begin by writing down on a piece of paper, your values, passions and talents among other gems – like how you are unique. You must write a personal statement and get assessed /feedback.
4. What are the attributes of a personal brand? And what do people associate your brand with?
Values are important and form your core. People associate with me for the way I treat them – with respect and kindness.
5. Based on your observations and learning who according to you is a personal brand? What characteristics do you admire about them?
We are all personal brands but Kem Hawkins ex-CEO of a Medical Company represents kindness, humility, ethics and self-awareness.
6. What steps did you take to build your brand? How do you know it is working?
Put it down on paper, write a statement, get feedback, sustain it by constant monitoring and what to do when you lose it.
7. What challenges did you face while building a personal brand? What techniques did you use?
Self- awareness is a key challenge. Among the techniques is my 5-word game that I encourage you play with a mentor, family or trusted friend. In the game you ask each to write down 5 words that best reflects the other and compare notes. You will be surprised by what you discover.
8. During the process of building your own brand, what did you gain in the process? What did you lose?
Gained the understanding of the need for personal branding. Learnt about the necessity of a brand and the importance and how easy it is to lose your brand.
9. How can someone starting from scratch build a personal brand? What is the first step he or she must take?
Understand what a personal brand is and why they need a personal brand I had no idea for the first 6-7 years of my career.
10. If you had the opportunity to change something about the way you built your personal brand, what would that be?
It would be self-awareness. I am still working on it.
11. What is your recipe for personal branding success?
Realize you can lose your personal brand narrative at any time. Be kind, treat people like you want to be treated and be humble.
12. Who according to you are personal brands whom others can follow and learn from?
The best personal brands are your trusted friends, family and mentors
13. With COVID19 and other crises what steps can personal brands take?
No difference in that you create it if the same way virtually and practice it daily Remember it is not what you say to people it is how you say things
14. What’s your advice for youngsters (Gen Z and others) who want to consider their personal brands?
Start it early, develop it now, be aware of the importance and be aware of your surroundings
Liked this interview? Please do share your feedback and comments.
Keen to get ahead with your personal brand? Here are some resources:
- Take this course – Personal Branding 101: Unlock Your Potential and Stay Ahead
- Take a FREE assessment on personal branding.
- Refer to the 3C model on Personal Branding
- Sign up for a 60-minute personalized chat on personal branding
- Personal branding for corporate communicators
Missed the earlier episodes? Read the interviews with Muqbil Ahmar, Tinu Cherian Abraham, Joseph Fernandez, Christina Daniels,Karthik Srinivasan,Gautam Ghosh, Alexander Michael Gittens, Mubeen Azeez, Itzik Amiel, Mangal D Karnad, Abhijit Bhaduri, Sandeep K Krishnan PhD, Scott Shirai, Sunil Robert, Latha Vijaybaskar PhD, Abha Maryada Banerjee, Dr. Amit Nagpal, Sukanti Ghosh, Amith Prabhu, Dave Carroll, Prof. Deva Rangarajan, Ramesh Thomas and K V Dipu online and share your thoughts.
#humility #resilience #kindness #bounceback #personalbranding #lifeskills #clarity #commitment #consistency #addvalue #buildexpertise #reinventyourself #focus #branding #drive #communications #fulfilment #courage #confidence